Saturday, January 3, 2009

Post from Camille

Hi Fam! and Friends,
Here is a post from Camille. She has some great points to make. Jennifer and I were going to make some clarification about the sleep thing. We know that some people need less. However, please be honest with yourself about that. Too often we stay up doing things that aren't good and then don't get the good sleep that we need. So, if you truly don't need more than say, 5 hours of sleep...you can still get that point. I know there are a lot of studies out there on the benefits of water. And I think Camille has a good point. But, we will stick to 64 oz. for the purpose of the challenge. (A lot of what we post on the blog will be based on government recommendations found on the My Pyramid page--link on right--and they recommend eight 8-oz glasses of water per day.) But, you are welcome to drink more if you can! And, that does mean water, not other fluids.
I am looking forward to checking out the book she recommends!



Hello!
Camille here. This probably isn't the right way to do this, but I couldn't figure out how to post on the blog, so I'm pitching in my two cents here.
I think the fitness challenge is great! I especially like the fact that you're looking at the whole person - spiritual, emotional, as well as physical.
I thought, given the approach, many of you may be interested in Dr. Bridell's Logical and Rational & Poetic and Beautiful & Completely Guaranteed Diet For All Your Appetites. (I know. The name is long, and it sounds really weird, but it's a really awesome book, and I totally love the approach. The author is LDS, and they integrate the physical diet, the mental diet and the spiritual diet. The diet is grounded well in the scriptures and Dr. Bridell discusses such things as the importance of drinking water, fasting (and feasting) properly, sleep, spiritual food, etc, as well as diet and exercise.
In reviewing the fitness chart, there are a couple of things you may want to consider: Since each person's sleep requirements vary, it may be better to just let each person decide for themselves how many hours would be a healthy night's sleep. Ditto for the water intake. In general, 64 oz of water daily may be adequate for some, but not for others. Typically, an adult should consume at least one ounce of water for each pound of body weight. If I weighed 64 lbs, 64 ounces would be sufficient, but I think most of us weigh more than that. (Also as a side note, juices and other liquid intake should not be considered part of the body's required water intake.) Since most of the body, and particularly the brain, consists of water, our physical and mental functions are impaired when water intake is minimal.
Anyway. It was good to see everyone at the family party, and we really enjoyed the singing time. Thanks to Micki for helping our family with "Breath of Heaven." Blessings to all of you for the new year!

Camille

1 comment:

Queen Mommy said...

Wow! I think if I was as skinny as Camille I MIGHT be able to drink my body weight in oz, but I don't know if it would be possible for me to drink 160 oz of water without cutting out other important things.
And, while it is VERY rare, it is possible to drink too much water. There is a lot of info out there about this, but this is the most concise explanation I've found:

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition. (from chemistry.about.com)

If you want more information, check out these sites:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/toomuchwater.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_drinking_too_much_water_be_bad_for_you